Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

New Look

I woke up this morning to the nurses hanging yet another unit of platelets. I found out it was donated by my cousin, Barb O'Donnell. Thanks Barb. I also woke up to find that my pillow was completely covered in hair. I couldn't stand it anymore because the hair was EVERYWHERE! I had the nurses shave my head this morning (thanks for offering to do this JoAnn.) I knew this would happen eventually, but I was just a little traumatized by the whole thing anyway. My friend, Janice Wong, who is seven months post-bone marrow transplant had great timing and brought me a cute pink hat today. Thank you Janice!

I think it may take me some time to get used to this new look. I'm not real crazy about the shape of my head but I really can't do much about that. Thank goodness for hats and scarves! My brother Kurt donated platelets again today and stopped by to see me. His comment was that my ears looked white and big. Spoken like a true sibling. Course, I commented back that my hair will grow back in.... his hairloss is permanent! My only dilemma today was whether to use soap or shampoo on my head.

I began to eat better over the last two days. I have overcome most of the nausea and nurses are shocked that I'm eating food already. The only problem with this is that they are feeding me through my IV. All of my nutrients, amino acids, vitamins, and calories are being infused 24/7. So if I'm eating in addition to this bag of IV food, I have potential to gain a lot of weight.

Other than that, I'm just waiting for the new stem cells to start making healthy blood products for me. My doctor said my stem cells may have jet lag since they are from Japan. I'm more worried about liking things like Natto after I'm well. Sometimes the recipient will take on certain likes or dislikes of their donor. Since my donor is 23, yes, half my age, who knows what'll happen. Watch out Mark!

Comments:
Hi Nancy!
We're all thinking about you and love reading your blog. I remember when Kai's hair started to fall out on his pillow...I think it scared me more than him. Hang in there and know that we are with you in spirit and can't wait to see you when you're back at home! If you're feeling well in September, maybe you can join us for the Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at Angel Stadium.
Please take care and I'll send you an email.
Take care!
Love,
Staci, Gary, Kai, Gen & Daigo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?