Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

No Sleep

I've got my third IV bag of Chemo hanging for the day. They'll hang another one at 6 pm tonight and another at 12 midnight. This will go on every six hours until Saturday when they switch to another Chemo drug. The real problem with this schedule is that I'm not getting any sleep. They come in my room half an hour before each chemo treatment and give me an anti-nausea medication. Then 30 minutes later they hook me up to the IV. Two hours after that they come back in to flush out the bag. 30 minutes after that they take the bag down. In the meantime, there are about four other IV bags they are constantly changing and checking. The IV beeper is constantly going off indicating there is "air in the line" or that the "unit is complete." I have to call the nurses when the beeper signals. The bad thing is that at night, I've learned to sleep through the beeping. I'm also taking about eight other medications (some are not too pleasant.)

I've received one unit of packed red cells and two units of platelets within the past week (For those of you who wish to donate platelets, my doctor has indicated that he would like not only the red cells donors but also the platelet donors to be type A+.) They have me going to Physical Therapy each day and I'll be allowed to continue the PT until my white count is under 1.0. I feel strong compared to the other patients. I hope I don't become as feeble as the others. I have a dietician and am on a low bacteria diet. I feel as though I'm being a little spoiled, like I'm at a special Spa. I order "room service" three or more times a day from a menu and I'm one of two patients on this whole floor who are able to eat (which would explain why there were two nurses in my room zeroing out my bed trying to figure out why I gained 5 pounds since this morning. Yes, they weigh me on this high tech bed.) I have all these nurses, patient care assistants, doctors, dieticians, occupational therapists, social workers and Physical Therapists waiting on me. While everyone is worried about me, here I sit, feeling a little guilty. So please know that I'm doing okay. You'll know when things change. Thank you for your care and concern.

Many of you are asking for the address here at the hospital. It is:

Nancy Sakakura
City of Hope Hospital
1500 E. Duarte Rd.
Duarte, CA 91010

6th Floor, Room 135

Love you all, Nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?