Friday, May 12, 2006

 

Surgery Today

I had to undergo surgery today to place my hickman catheter while Kurt and Mom waited in the waiting room (actually, Kurt direct-donated blood for me while he was waiting so it'll be there in the next few weeks when I'll need it. Thanks Kurt.) I have two tubes connected directly into my aorta which will help with blood draws, infusing blood, infusing marrow, and medications. I don't have to be the human pin cushion any longer. They put me under general anesthesia; I don't remember a thing about getting put under. I just remember the nurses calling my name and telling me that it's time to "wake-up." I'm a little sore in the right shoulder because they entered under my collar bone and the tubes come out of my chest. Mom, Mark, Cathy, and I took a class last week on how to care for the catheter in order to reduce the chance of infection.

I had requested an early morning surgery so that if I felt good enough, I could watch Scott play in his CIF Volleyball games at Estancia H.S this evening. Kurt drove me there as I'm not allowed to drive yet due to the anesthesia. Scott's team, Cypress High, was eliminated in the first round of CIF today. : (

I think Warren is coming back into town tonight with his family. They were just here last weekend. He said he's going to help hook up the laptop computer in the hospital room when I check in on Sunday and help get me situated.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?