Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

Feeling better

Over the last two days, I received four units of platelets (LC58301, LC58285, LC58303 and LC58314) and one unit of packed red cells (LC58025 - Thanks Judy!) Thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to donate your precious elixir of life!

I had not been feeling well over the past four days or so. My body has retained a lot of fluids (14 pounds worth!). I began to have trouble breathing, and just moving around the room became a real effort. My lungs ended up taking in some of the fluids. Over the past two days, the doctors have been giving me something to help clear some of the fluids. I can now breathe a lot easier so I feel a whole lot better.

Have any of you gone 23 days without brushing and flossing your teeth? (And yes, I am married to a dentist.) They won't let me brush and floss my teeth because my platelets are too low, meaning, I can bleed very badly from the gums. They gave me this bag of little disposable oral swabs. An oral swab is a sponge mounted on a stick. I get to sponge clean my teeth daily. They also provided me with a special mouth rinse. My mouth is only mildly irritated and I don't have any mouth sores. Most patients can barely talk at this stage due to numerous mouth sores and sores in the throat. But not me, they can't shut me up that easily.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?