Friday, August 04, 2006

 

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

I finally made it home! Oh, it feels so good to be home with my family. There really is no place like home.

Mark and the boys did a great job getting the house ready for me. They've removed all the plants from the house and put them in the backyard, they purchased new air purifiers, put hepa filters on all the intakes in the house, cleaned the house, did all the laundry, and stocked the house with low bacteria foods for me. I can't have any live plants or flowers in the house due to the possibility of mold, mildew or fungus which can grow in the soil or water. Since my immune system is still very fragile, I can't risk any type of infection.

I need to be on the low bacteria diet for at least another month. Among other things, this means I cannot eat any food prepared at a restaurant, my food needs to be cooked here under specific guidelines. I cannot have bakery items that have sat on a shelf, all my meats have to be well-done and I can't have most fresh vegetables or fruits. The hospital even provided guidelines as to how to do the dishes and appropriately dry them.

So, even with all these rules, I am so so happy to be home. The boys and some friends made me some great welcome home signs. I'm just enjoying being around my family tonight. Seems like I have a lot to catch up on, but at the same time, I don't see how I was gone for 82 days! I think time stood still for part of the time and the rest of the time I spent fighting and recovering. What an ordeal. I'm not out of the woods yet, but getting stronger every day. I still need to visit the hospital three days a week for check-ups and possible transfusions of red cells and/or platelets. My appointments are Saturdays, Mondays, and Thursdays starting tomorrow through the end of August. August.... why is it August? I left on May 14th!!

I want to thank all of you who have traveled this journey to this point with me. It's like I was telling my uncle, you have all served as my inspiration. It has been tough but I don't really think about it... I look at the so many small improvements that I see in my health every day. I know they are small, but they are significant. Yes, I've had setbacks, but I always knew I can overcome them. And yes, there will probably be more setbacks, but I can overcome them as well. I've never been a very patient person, but have learned that healing takes time. To me, this is an investment in my future.. a future which will hold precious years with my friends and family, fun with my golf and gambling buddies, fantastic times at family reunions, etc. I look so forward to so many things and know that with everyday I'm a step closer to the things I love. I thank you all for your support which has been shown in so many ways. I'm happy, I'm home and I love you all. Nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?