Monday, September 18, 2006

 

Forever Optimistic

Well, I thought I was improving. My counts this morning (and bloody nose) tell me otherwise. I started with a platelet count of 7 again today. They transfused me with a unit of direct donated but non-HLA matched platelets and my count went to 19 (LC63500 -Thank you). That was a good boost from a non matched unit. Then another unit was just finished being processed so they gave me an HLA matched platelet unit #LC63504 which boosted me to 35. They told me if I took a red blood cell transfusion today, I would not need to come back tomorrow unless there was any bleeding, so I got a unit of packed red cells - also directly donated LC63569. Thank you so much for all of the donated blood products. You are all holding me together!!! Additionally, I received magnesium by IV and we called it a day (something like an eight hour day!)

After leaving the hospital, Mark and I went down to the donor center where Mark's mom was donating platelets for me. I was finally able to meet some of the awesome nurses that you all have told me about. Most of them know about me because of all the support I received from all of you, but I haven't gone in there since before my transplant in May. It was a pleasure to meet your favorite nurses.

Unless I have more bleeding problems, I hopefully won't need to go back until Wednesday! I hope the doctors can figure out this platelet problem. It's very frustrating and draining spending long hours at the hospital. All I'm doing is lying there in a bed or chair that reclines, getting IV lines changed in and out, and getting premedications to different IV's, but for some reason it's exhausting.

My prescription refill problem from Saturday is finally resolved. My delivery came this morning when I was at the City of Hope. Thanks Janice for loaning me your anti-rejection pills. I've sent some back to you in the mail.

I thank you all for keeping up with my blog. Most people think that since I'm home, I'm doing well. Actually, I would be doing quite well if it weren't for this continuing platelet crisis. I bruise very easily but most bruises are on my arms and legs. I still have to be very careful. I know this will pass... it's just taking longer than I'd hoped. Take care all, love, nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?