Thursday, September 14, 2006

 

Platelet Problems

I started today with a platelet count of 7. The donor center indicated that one unit of HLA matched platelets were ready and that a second unit from the same donor would follow, if needed. I got a bump to 13 (LC63431) with the first unit, however, we waited for over two hours for the second unit. Some miscommunication occurred and there apparently was no second unit from the same donor. So they were going to start to look for another platelet unit which could take possibly another several hours.

At that point, I needed to leave. I have never asked to leave early, reschedule or cancel an appointment. I have been very good about my appointments, arriving on time and most of the time arriving early. I missed a lot of my kids events over the summer and couldn't bear to miss this one. With that being said, I left and was able to take Andrew to take his driving licensure test at the DMV. He passed with flying colors! Andrew is on the Varsity basketball team at Cypress High and can now get himself back and forth to school, practices and games. This is a load off of my mind since I spend so much time at the City of Hope. Scott has been unable to drive Andrew to school because he has a Zero period and Andrew starts at first period.

So, the day wasn't a total loss. I evaded hospitalization for yet another day, got enough of a spike from the one unit of platelets (thank you!) and enjoyed taking Andrew to the DMV. Tomorrow morning, I'll pick up where I left off at the hospital. Watch out if you live in Cypress, Andrew is on the road. : ) love, nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?