Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

A Sign of Improvement : )

As promised, yesterday, the blood bank had two units of "B" matched platelets ready for me. My reading first thing in the morning was 9 again. After the first unit of platelets were transfused (lC63462) my count went to 21. That's the highest it has gone in a long time. Since I wasn't going in today, Sunday, they infused the other unit of platelets (LC63472.) After that, my count jumped to 39! I'm thinking that maybe my platelet problem is starting to turn around. I'm hoping that whatever it was that was causing the depletion is finally clearing. My count has not gone up to 39 in over a month even with matched platelet products.

I believe these two donors were found by the City of Hope through their donor program. I don't believe they were friends or relatives but I could be wrong. At any rate, I'm thankful to all who have been trying to give blood products. It was very important over the past month that I got some that were matched. Due to high risk of hemorrhage, I would have ended up in the hospital if the platelet transfusions didn't help!

I'm on 28 pills a day and have kept up with my timing and dosages of my medications with the help of a journal. Keeping up with the refills is another job. Some of my medications are by mail order and the City of Hope won't fill the prescription. So, I make sure that I order well in advance so as not to miss some important medications. I triple checked that I would receive a delivery of one of the main anti-rejection drugs on Saturday. I was assured that it would arrive and I even checked to see that it was billed to Blue Cross online. Well, guess what? It didn't arrive on Saturday as expected. I only had enough pills to get me through half of Sunday. My friend, Janice Wong, came to my rescue. She is 11 months post transplant and takes the same drug. She met me and loaned me a few pills to hold me over. THANKS JANICE! You Rock!!! By the way, Janice looks fantastic!!!

Thank you all for hanging in there with me. These past few weeks have been trying for me and for those transporting me to and from Duarte. There have been near daily appointments and most of them last all day long! It's really quite exhausting. Mark will take me tomorrow... we'll hope for a starting platelet count in the teens or higher!!!??? Thanks again! Love you all, nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?