Saturday, September 23, 2006

 

Waiting Out The Platelet Problem

I still continue to receive matched platelets every other day. Yesterday, Friday 9/22, I started with a platelet count of 5. They infused me with a matched product that the City of Hope purchased from the American Red Cross. My platelets went to 17. Then they chased that with my mother in law's platelets which spiked to 33! Yeah... go mom. I also received a unit of red blood cells from the blood bank at City of Hope and an infusion of magnesium. It was another long day at the clinic, but I since I got the "works" I won't have to return until Sunday.

This platelet problem is going into it's sixth week. In hopes of retaining a decent platelet count, we're trying cutting down on some of the medications and increasing others to see if we can find a good balance. The doctors are still running tests to see if they can pinpoint the cause of the platelet destruction and platelet refractoriness. The problem can be one of maybe 200 different viruses or a reaction to something else. They can't possibly test for all these viruses but they are doing their best to isolate it.

Thank you for continuing to follow my blog. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers! love you all, nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?