Sunday, October 01, 2006

 

Another Good Day

Hey, whose blood counts are these anyway??? I had another good day at the clinic today, Sunday, 10/1. Mark took me in and we waited for the counts. My platelets held at 20! The nurse wanted to give me a unit of platelets but I told her this was a good count for me. She was afraid she'd get in trouble if she let me go without a platelet transfusion. I assured her she wouldn't be in trouble. The other amazing thing that happened was my hemoglobin was 9.1, which is still low. But, for the first time in six weeks, my hemoglobin went up by itself without having a red cell transfusion. My hemoglobin level on Thursday was 8.5 and I turned down the transfusion as it was borderline. Since they left it up to me and since I was feeling good, I wanted to see if it would hold on it's own. I was right, it did!! : )

I pretty sure I've turned the corner on whatever was causing the low platelet and hemoglobin counts. I've always been optimistic that this would pass, but it took longer than I had hoped. Now, I can resume recovery. Yipee!!!

Thank you for your support! You've all been patiently waiting for me to recover and resume a regular schedule. I still have to be very careful, especially as flu season is upon us. I need to stay away from crowds and I still wear my mask when I'm in public, which is hardly ever (I might try just a quick run to the market when it's not crowded.) My immune system will be poor for the first year post-transplant and maybe even longer than that. In fact, I think I wrote before how I will probably get all my childhood immunizations again at or near my one year post-transplant appointment. So, thank you for traveling on this journey with me and for your patience. I, too, have learned to be patient through this process. Love you all, nancy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?