Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Breaking Records

I had an appointment on Friday at the City of Hope. I'm glad to report that all is still well! We're breaking records here folks! : ) I posted my highest platelet count again at 27 (normal 150-350) by myself. My hemoglobin dropped a little but was still good at 9.2 (normal 11.5-15.5) and my white count is still doing fine at 3.0 (normal 4.0-11.) Since my transplant in May, this is the longest period of time I've gone without a transfusion. It has been over a week and a half since my last one.

I hope to continue on this path. I'm still being careful about what I eat, washing my hands, wearing my mask, and being exposed to the public. It's kind of sad, but I actually enjoy my infrequent trips to the market, bank or post office. I haven't gone out much more than that. I don't enjoy going to the City of Hope twice a week, but, that's way better than my daily visits or every other day visits which I endured over the past six weeks. I'm looking forward to the day when I can go to the hospital once a week and eventually once every other week! That will really be something! : )

I want to thank all who have generously donated their blood products to me. You sustained me over the past 4 months. I hope I'm not saying this prematurely, but, I hope I won't need too many more transfusions. If you would like to continue to donate blood/platelets at the City of Hope, you can donate in my name. There is a blood shortage, so if I don't use it and the product gets close to the expiration date, they will use it on someone else in need. Otherwise, don't feel obligated to rush out and give blood or platelets as I am hopefully clear of whatever caused the six-week critical drop in my counts. Remember, whole blood lasts over a month and platelets last only a few days. If my status changes and I do require transfusions again, I will let you all know via this blog site. My sincere thanks to all who helped me in this way. This was a great gift of life and I'll never be able to appropriately thank all of you who spent hours in the donor center and hours on the road in order to help me out! I also want to thank all of you who spread the word about my critical need and sent friends and family to the donor center. You are truly my heroes!

My next appointment is on Tuesday. I have twice weekly appointments now, so please don't worry if I don't blog more than twice each week. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. With love, nance

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?