Thursday, August 14, 2008

 

Nice To Be Home

I was discharged from the hospital yesterday afternoon. I'm sorry I didn't update my blog. I was still feeling really bad yesterday and was out of energy. It was hard to even sit up.

When I first got to the hospital, they set up an IV and immediately hydrated me and gave me antibiotics. First came the yummy bag of levaquin followed by another tasty bag of bactrim. Well, the bactrim made me totally nauseous and I couldn't stop... well, you know. So, in addition to feeling like crap, I was nauseated and had to have a pan nearby. So, to fight the nausea they gave me another drug which caused me to have horrible migraine headaches. When I have migraines, it makes me nauseous..... vicious cycle....

They sent me home with 200 bactrim pills. Although, I can take them they still turn my stomach. So I turned to good old chocolate milk to wash them down. No nausea.... other side effect.... TMI...

I'm feeling much better today. I slept six hours straight last night for the first time in about a week. During the hospital stay, nurses were going in and out of my room all night, sticking me for blood samples, checking for allergic reactions, changing the beeping IV's, etc... They had to relocate my IV line four different times because my veins are so poor. I don't know how I stayed in the hospital so long two years ago. Like I had a choice... I guess you just gotta do what ya gotta do and take one day at a time. It was worth it but, I don't have much patience for inpatient care anymore.

I'll have to go into the clinic each week to check my lungs. I have a little more lung capacity as they've sent me home with a spirometer. So, these medications, must be working. In the meantime, I'm suppose to rest up. So much for my summer plans : (

Thank you for checking in on me. Love you all, nancy

Comments:
I'm really sorry about the bactrim. I can't stand taking them either. This will all be behind you before you know it and you'll be back to running around and going to basketball games. Get some rest and don't push yourself.

Love,
Ann
 
All-in-all, it sounds like a miserable (but necessary) experience.

I hope that we're both on the mend and can have a play date soon!
 
Hi Nancy,
I saw you on Ann's blog, having found Ann through PJ. I am new to blogging and am just discovering that it really connects people who've dealt with similar stuff. I was diagnosed with AML in 2003, had an auto and stayed in remission until last summer. (ugh) Had an allo last October, then graft failure and am recovering from second allo June 10, which I hope will take care of it for good! Like you, I also had pneumonia. It was fungal and they needed to excise it. Glad you're enjoying being home. Fresh air is really great. Good luck in your recovery!
 
OMG, Third times a charm??? You've really been through it all. You could probably write the book on transplants!! I hope that you are recovering and that your counts get back to normal. I have a lot of questions for you. Can you please email me at sakakura@ca.rr.com? Thank you so much and I'll look forward to your email. In the meantime, take good care of yourself....
nancy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?