Wednesday, March 04, 2009

 

AMAZING LETTER!!!

If you recall, last December, my mom and I wrote letters to my bone marrow donor in Japan. We thanked her for her life-saving bone marrow donation last May 2006.

I'm so excited (crying, in fact) , as the most amazing thing just happened. I got an envelope in the mail from the City of Hope, Matching Unrelated Donors (MUD) Program. They forwarded a letter that my donor wrote to me and also one written to my mom. The letters had to go through many channels to get here... Japan Marrow Bank, US National Marrow Donor Program, City of Hope Hospital and finally to me. Turns out she lost her brother to leukemia 12 years ago. So, she wanted to help someone else struggling with the same situation. She sounds very sweet and genuinely wonderful and caring.

Although I wanted to, I can't post the letter on my blog because somebody may be able to trace it back to her. The international laws about keeping the donor and recipient anonymous are very strict and I wouldn't want to be the one to put the donor program in jeopardy. Maybe someday there will be a change in the laws, but for now, this was my one contact with her. Suffice it to say, she's happy that she could save my life and appreciates the special bond between her and I.

Thank you for following my blog. To me, this letter brings this journey around full-circle. I'll be forever grateful ......
love, nance

Comments:
How thrilling for you, your mom and the donor to have finally "met" through your letters. Makes me want to cry tears of joy too.
 
Thanks Susan. It's so crazy Cool!!! I still can't believe it because we sent her the letters in December and never expected to hear back from her. It's such a fantastic surprise.

She sounds so sweet. Maybe some of her genes will further engraft and I'll become sweet, too. We won't hold our breath for that!

love ya, nancy
 
Ha Nancy, you are one of the sweetest people I know! So exciting about the letter!!! I'm so happy for you.
 
Nancy,

That's wonderful!! I just received a Bone Marrow Transplant last Friday, and I wasn't sure if I was going to contact my donor next year or not, but after reading your post I think that I am going to do it.
 
nice-wallpapers
xqnc l ( ro 61
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?